Wednesday, February 16, 2011

one day at a time

Well, the hardest part is over... the goodbye.  The moment I had been dreading for months.  Not going to lie, yesterday was the most difficult day of my life thus far... watching him walk away from Reagan and me was more painful than the day I gave birth.  Someone needs to develop a deployment epidural pronto.  However seeing my handsome husband in his combat uniform carrying his 3 large rucksacks overwhelmed me with such a powerful sense of pride.  I married my hero.  It amazes me that someone can be so brave and so strong, willing to leave his new little family, his friends, and comforts of home to travel to a place that is "hell on earth" in order to protect the freedom of people who ignore/forget the fact that we are a country at war.  He inspires me to be a strong, confident, and independent woman who can fend for herself and hold her head up when the going gets tough.  

And boy is it tough.  After dropping him off yesterday morning I cringed at the thought of coming back to an empty house.  Heck, I could hardly even drive home I was crying so hard.  But as the lonely hours progressed, I found that the sun still rose, I was still breathing, and life went on.  I didn't have the choice to spend my day crying and moping around... a precious little baby depended on me.  Granted, I may not have been the most exciting mommy to play with seeing as though I only got 2 hours of sleep, but she helped me get through my first day of deployment.  Well, her and Debrand's chocolates. =)

Today was much better than yesterday, and I'm beginning to believe everyone who says each day is easier than the last.  After all, I'm one day closer to seeing him again!  I was able to talk with him very briefly on two separate occasions and, unlike yesterday, the waterworks didn't come when I got off the phone.  Maybe I'm just dehydrated and have no tears left to produce, seeing as though I've cried the past week straight on top of being a nursing mother.  

Nonetheless, Reagan and I enjoyed the sunny 67° weather (last time I checked it WAS Colorado, right? And February??) and we went on a nice, long walk around the neighborhood.  My sister-in-law, Sarah, is coming out in a week, I booked a flight to Indy in March, made tentative plans to go to California in May for my birthday, and talked to Samantha about her visiting in June.  I'll tackle this deployment by looking forward to these small milestones, leaning on family and friends, saying lots of prayers, and taking it one. day. at. a. time.

5 comments:

  1. You ARE a strong, supportive Army Wife! I am so very proud of you, Nicole Elisabeth!
    XOXOXO
    Mom/Nana

    P.S. I think we should plan something for April! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to write out your thoughts like this! Thank you for being willing to be so open in the midst of this challenging time in your life. Always remember that your friends and family are here for you, especially if skiing is involved ;) Tell Reagan hello for me!

    P.S. Don't worry, we all know how much practice he has had playing Call of Duty :)

    - Michael (Proud brother of a soldier and a strong mother)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nicole!! I'll be keeping you in my prayers! I know how hard it is to be a mom, and to do it on your own is tough (specially with no family around)! You're doing the right thing though by making lots of plans! Feel free to make a trip to Utah if you want! We have plenty of room and we'd love to have you! How long will he be deployed?

    Love,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicki,

    I am so glad you are doing a blog! I hope you are better at keeping up with it than I am/was;) I really can't imagine what you are going through, but your strength and make-the-best-of- it attitude inspires me. I really don't know if I could do the same let alone at your age! I know there is not much we can do from Indiana, but please let me know if there is! I am sooo excited to see you and meet Reagan in a couple weeks. I am going to start shopping now...excited to get to buy stuff other than Batman and Spiderman;)
    XOXOX
    Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicki,
    I've said it before and I will again, my son is a lucky man!!!! God blessed all of us when he found you and now we have a beautiful little girl to spoil too!

    Now that you are a mom you can understand even better that protective instinct that all mothers have. You hear about moms who have unbelievable strength in order to save their child from harm. Well, believe me it doesn't change just because they are 6 ft. tall and ride in a tank. He brought me into this Army thing several years ago kicking and screaming. But, as the years past I saw how committed and strong he is. How unbelievably brave and honorable. This is truly "his thing". He will make all of us and our country proud.

    One more thing - I promise you an unlimited supply of DeBrand's chocolates. I completely believe in their healing properties!

    Love to you, Reagan and my little soldier.(haha, he will hate that)
    Deb/Gram/Mom

    ReplyDelete